Monday, April 2, 2012

Movie Love Tag!

Hey everyone,

My friend Marsali from Bolton Girls Travel Journal tagged me to do the Movie Love Tag. I have to list my three favorite movies and explain why I like them. Okay, if you know me, you know I love my movies. This tag is perfect for me! I just don't know how I can narrow my favorite movies list down to just three, but I'll do my best.

In no specific order, here are my top three favorites.

1. Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain
[The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain]
If you only watch one French movie in your entire lifetime, please make sure this one is the one you watch! It's truly a classic. Obviously, this is the film that inspired the name of my blog, I love it so much. It's about a shy young woman, Amélie, who wants to perform good deeds in a secretive manner. She loves knowing that she's making their lives just a bit better, just a bit happier, through her acts of generosity. Yet, even as a permanent do-gooder, she doesn't know how to make herself happy, at least not until the end of the film. This is a romantic comedy, but definitely not your typical one. There are lots of sub-plots with truly beautiful film work that will make this film literally pleasing to your eyes! You will have a smile on your face by the time you finish this film. I do every time. Why do I love it? Well, for one, it takes place in my native surroundings, my beautiful Montmartre!


2. Jeux d'Enfants
[Child's Play / Love Me If You Dare]
I had to put this one alongside Amélie because I found the trailer minutes after I was watching the Amélie trailer on YouTube. The trailer for this movie was linked in the YouTube sidebar, and me - curious as I am - decided to click on it. I fell in love with it from the very first time I watched the trailer all the way through, I'm not even kidding. The trailer is done in the same artsy style as the Amélie trailer, and I literally watched the trailer dozens of times before I finally saw the whole film. It's about two kids, Julien and Sophie, who befriend each other over a mutual love of a tin box. They quickly decide to share the box, daring each other to perform practical jokes in order to win possession of the box. The dares continue into Julien and Sophie's adulthood, even after both settle into relationships with other people, and the dares - once innocent - become even more dangerous. It's definitely worth watching. The ending is very sweet, and it reminds me of the ending of another movie - which I won't tell you because I don't want to give it away! Once again, this is a romantic comedy, but definitely not your typical one. French romantic comedies are not as cheesy as American romantic comedies, let me tell you. (In fact, many American movies are based on French movies because Hollywood lacks creativity. The French versions are always better!). Anyway, I love this film mainly because, as I said in my last post, I love watching movies where the main character is named Sophie, but ultimately the trailer sucked me in. The characters in the movie are also reminiscent of the characters in Pushing Daisies, an American TV show from a few years back, which I completely loved (and miss like crazy!).


3. The Da Vinci Code
Well, how can I not put this one on the list? The Da Vinci Code is my all-time favorite book, and I love the movie just as much. The female lead, Sophie Neveu, is played by my all-time favorite actress from Amélie, Audrey Tautou. The name "Sophie Neveu" was even my alias when I first came to the United States, wanting to separate myself from my twin. I love the historical mystery aspect to this movie. Of course, the book ends better, I will admit. After I watch the movie, I ALWAYS have to reread the ending of the book afterwards, but the movie is a good adaptation. I don't want to give too much away, in case any of you haven't read or seen it, but if you like historical mysteries (and movies along the lines of the National Treasure movies, also some of my favorites), please check this one out, too. I haven't actually seen its sequel Angels & Demons, though, because Sophie Neveu is not a character in it!


Now, I will tag these bloggers to do the same:


~Sophie




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KEWL I will have to see if I can find them to watch them, they sound good. I really like the sound of the second movie, it sounded like it could be funny.

Marsali

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...