Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A Special Gift

Salut mes amis,

I have some sad news. Mon grand-père, my grandfather, who went in the hospital over Noël, Christmas, has passed away. He never fully recovered after surgery and was in so much pain these past few weeks that I was relieved when he passed on. He is no longer in pain! It's Maman and ma grand-mère, my grandmother, that I feel sorry for right now. They are devastated! Juliette is pretty sad, too, and hasn't been able to do much these past few days. She sits around listlessly, hugging her bear, and crying all the while. She's so bad off that she hasn't even touched her ballet bag! It's all I can do to comfort her. I've even taken an official leave of absence from school because I can't bear to leave her side. It feels bizarre being back in Paris for longer than two weeks, but this is where I must be right now.


Before I left the United States, I'd picked up a belated Christmas present for my sister: an American Girl doll of her own! She'd been admiring my Cécile doll for quite some time, and I always figured that I was going to get her a Marie-Grace. However, when I found out that the new Girl of the Year for 2014 was a ballerina, I knew that she was the one! 


Juliette couldn't believe her eyes when I handed her the big, red bag, "Sophie, you really bought me an American Girl doll?! Aren't they extremely expensive?"

"Well, I know how much you've admired mine, and with two dolls, we can play together! Isabelle is the perfect doll for you; she loves ballet just like you do! I know she can't take the place of our grandfather, but she'll comfort you at least," I put my arm around Juliette, smiling all the while, "Now, go on. Open her up!"


Juliette carefully slid the lid off of the box, gazing at the doll that lay before her. Tilting the box upward so that she could get a good look at Isabelle's pretty hazel eyes, Juliette slowly began to smile. "Elle est très jolie, she is very pretty! And, ooh! She has pink hair streaks, my favorite color! Merci beaucoup, Sophie! I love her so much!"


After lifting her new doll from the confines of the box, Juliette gave her a hug. "I actually do feel a little better now. Thanks again, Sophie! You're the best sister a girl could ask for!"

I just smiled.


Have you ever given a special gift to someone who needed it?

Ton amie,
Sophie 

10 comments:

Inky said...

My dear friends,

I am so sorry for your loss. You will both be in my thoughts.

Love,
Inky

Violet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sophiaandemma said...

so sorry to hear that. We feel for you. No we have never given a gift to somebody who really needed it. We twins feel lucky that we always have somebody there to comfort us.
Sophia and Emma

Aurora said...

Sophie and Juliette,
I am so sorry for your loss! I've never experienced something like that before, but I'm positive it must sting =(

Hugs!
Aurora

Jessica said...

Dear Sophie and Juliet,

I am so sorry for your terrible loss!

An Aunt of mine died a little while ago. I didn't get to go to her funeral, but mother did, and she said she couldn't stop crying, and she NEVER cries at funerals!

Love & Hugs,
Melody
xxx

J.M. Larson said...

Very pretty story and I love how you use the pictures to demonstrate the story. I am very sorry to hear about your loss and I hope your family is now finding comfort and healing in his positive memories and the legacy he is leaving to you all. Many blessings to all of you.

Susie said...

That was such a sweet gift for you to give your sister! I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa.

~Susie

Inky said...

Privyet once again Sophie & Juliette,

I have nominated you for the prestigious Liebster Award! Check out the details on my blog!

http://www.superinky.com/2014/03/the-prestigious-liebster-award.html

Susie said...

I've nominated you for the Prestigious Liebster Award! http://agsusie.blogspot.com/2014/03/the-prestigious-liebster-award.html
~Susie

Jessica said...

I've nominated you for the Liebster award! Please check it out: http://jessicasblogjournal.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/liebster-award.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...